Learn the essential skills of using features and capabilities of Structured Query Language (SQL).
The course uses MySQL Server as an example database.
This course is suitable for anyone who wants to learn the basics of SQL whether using Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Access, Oracle, MySQL, Google BigQuery or other database systems.
We assume you have some experience of relational databases.
- Relational Database Concepts
- The role of SQL
- Overview of the databases used in the workshop
Writing Basic SQL Statements
- The syntax of the SELECT statement
- Using the DISTINCT keyword
- ORDER BY
- Examples of WHERE criteria including wildcards, comparison operators, BETWEEN, LIKE, IN
Single Row Functions
- Performing mathematical calculations
- The types of functions available in SQL
- Useful date functions
- GetDate( )
- DateADD( )
- DateDIFF( )
- Conversion functions and their uses
- Column aliases
- How to write aggregate queries
- COUNT Vs Count(*)
- GROUP BY
- The principle of including data from multiple tables in queries
- Joining multiple tables in the FROM clause
- Different join types including INNER and OUTER joins and SELF joins